Monday 1 August 2011

Book Review: Rhinos don't eat pancakes

So, I haven't read The Book Thief or A Thousand Splendid Suns... as much as I would have liked to!  I haven't read either before but am dead keen and having read The Kite Runner a few years ago I know what a talented writer Khaled Hosseini is.

I am still working my way through my July book which I started before joining up with the bookclub.  I will finish it very soon though and then hope to join in the review for August's book!

In the meantime I can make a different contribution - we are always reading new children's books and the highlight of this month was: Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes by Anna Kemp & Sarah Ogilvie.



Daisy's parents are always too busy to listen to her.  Actually Listen.  Then one day a huge purple Rhino comes to stay, but Daisy's parents are too busy to notice or hear her as she repeatedly tries to inform them!  Until all the pancakes disappear...

This is an absolutely delightful story with a little subtle lesson mainly for parents - to take time to REALLY listen to  our children... before it's too late and all the pancakes are gone!

My 3 year old adores and grasps the story fully.  The 2 year old loves the illustrations and loves listening to the story but is more enamored with the slightly simpler Dogs don't do Ballet also by Anna Kemp & Sarah Ogilvie.

Dogs Don't Do Ballet (Paperback) ~ Kemp Anna (Author) Cover Art

Another sweet story about Biff, a little dog with big dreams.

So there's my review - hopefully it's useful to someone!
xx







1 comment:

  1. Hey Leonie - I love that you have reviewed some kids books!
    I will see if I can find that Rhino one in the library - it looks lovely - although my older two may not be as into it as my 3 yr old :)
    As for the other reviews/book(s) you are reading... you know you can link up more than one review, aye?
    So if you finish your book before the end of the month, review it and link up.
    And really, BOTH those books suggested by "other" Leonie are WONDERFUL and I'll bet you'd chew through them fast; they are hard to put down.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it brightens my day!