Wednesday 13 August 2014

Show & Tell: One plus One is Two done

Hi ho hi ho, here we go!

Show & Tell Thursday's

Whilst wrapping up Anya's quilt, I'd been thinking about what sort of quilt to do for Heidi. A very different girl in pretty much every way from her big sister - logical, detailed, loves orange, zebras and black and white, precise and loves manuals and instructions - along with all her other sweetness and light qualities of course ; ).

I saw lots of plus quilts over the last year or so and slowly it started sticking in my mind. A plan started evolving. The more it developed the more it seemed perfect for Heidi. So I drew up some coloured-in plans and Heidi fell in love with the concept. Hubster was away for most of May and in those few weeks I got cracking.

Every morning Heidi woke up and came to see which blocks had been completed and ticked them off against the drawn-up plan. She was pretty excited and loved being involved in the process. Can you imagine how striking it would have looked in solids? I decided to go for patterned fabric for the most part to soften it and hopefully help it stand the test of time. The whites were low volume or white on white for the most part.

And then the back...what to do what to do... oooo a big plus! So a few sums, some more drawing and colouring in later, the back came together using every last scrap. And Heidi really wanted her name on it too, so we made that happen :)

Off it went to Leeanne to be quilted. Despite the stupid mistake I made of pressing all the seams open, we came up with a plan.  We do so love what she did and how it turned out!  We were also really lucky to be able to collect it from her at the Kumeu Quilt Show a few weeks ago.  It was so lovely to meet Leeanne and Heidi talked about the "girl" who made the patterns on her quilt for days.  What a treat for us!!

We came home and I bound it straight away. Since then she has played, cuddled and been sleeping under it daily. She loves it to bits - warm happy fluffy feelings : )

And the plan for the third one is slowly taking shape... but it may be a wee way off for now!
What plans, big or small, are you working on?
Hope you have a happy day!
L xx

Show & Tell Thursday's





19 comments:

  1. Wow Leonie, just wow. This is just such a work of art and so beautifully individual for your girl too - an heirloom for her life xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beauty that reflects your daughter's interests perfectly, and your appliqué of her name is so neat! I love that Leeanne wrote Heidi's name with thread too. Clever. Can you please share why it's not advisable to iron open the seam allowances?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so clever Leonie, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Leeanne's blog and smiled. So perfect for H in every way! Well done on another stunning finish.

    Guess what I'm just about to start as soon as I get off the computer- a big bear eeek! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if my comments are coming through today - I've just commented on three of your quilt posts. Such incredible, beautiful work, Leonie! I'm so inspired! What beautiful gifts for your sweet girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is amazing! What a talented lady you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious and beautiful piece of work. I love that the memories it will hold for Heidi won't be just of your love and care for her and the time you spent but also the invitation for her to be a part of it and the way you have made it SO personal and allowed her so much input. Yay! You are amazing and inspiring xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is beautiful!!! The details and the colors are just fantastic! I am blown away by your talents friend....what a gift and how wonderful to pass this on to your girl! Happy week to you friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved meeting you both too! So pleased to see this fun quilt being loved & cherished. Doesn't it look amazing on Heidi's bed!
    Thanks again for your custom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning quilt. It looks gorgeous. Heidi must be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow - this is amazing - stunning in every sense of the word! I especially love the big cross on the back. Can you release it as a pattern - please!! Would be so perfect as a boys quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has to be one of the most incredible quilts I have ever seen - loving the colour palette too. Lucky Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness that is stunning!!! Lucky Heidi! I can just imagine her ticking off each block as they were made! so cute :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - it's incredibly beautiful! An heirloom to keep forever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that quilt looks absolutely amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is totally amazing - another masterpiece !! !! And so H in every single way !!

    Working on . . . . well it seems mindless sewing is good for stress . . . . July equalled four quilts !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The front and the back are both so incredible, it is like they are BOTH tops! Heidi coming out each morning to tick off the blocks that have been completed is so funny. I can just imagine her - she is going to be a "list maker" before you know it :) So great that she enjoyed the process - makes the end result even more special xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. When I saw Deborah's gorgeous quilt over at Sunshine Through the Rain, I had to come see the inspiration. Your quilt looks great. I love the colour combination and how bright it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it brightens my day!