Wednesday 29 January 2014

Show & Tell: It's in the bag

Hiya!

Show & Tell Thursday's

How's your week going? Still on 'holiday' or has the school/kindy year started? We're back into the swing of it this week - a bit hard to believe really!


A friend and I got chatting about simple and quick but substantial things to sew a while back, which lead to the idea of a messenger bag. I'd never tried it, thought it seemed simple enough, so gave it a go.

I drew up some "plans" and set to it. It turned out a lot better than expected! Good enough to gift, so that was a bonus!

I have to say though it was more time-consuming than I had thought. Maybe it was because I'd never done it and was working from my rough and ready ideas? Maybe they're just not that quick?

What's your experience with messenger or other bags? Any favourite patterns? Tips? Tricks?
Looking forward to hearing your views and also seeing what you've been making!
Link-away!
L xx

Show & Tell Thursday's





15 comments:

  1. Cute. I think your girls might take that before it can be gifted! I find bags so fiddly to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely Leonie - I love the little free motion detailing you've done. Its been a year or so since I did a messenger bag. I use my own pattern. It takes a while to get the zip/pocket on the interior and then its quite a bit of turning, clipping, pressing to get it to sit nice. I like the Charlie Bag (Very Purple Person blog) for quick gifts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you used a blanket. Fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this bag - it is lovely :) love the fact you've upcycled fabric too
    I've never made a messenger bag, however, Juliet made me one for me once in a swap

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely! I've made a few messenger bags with good results - the last one being a custom for my son's iPad. I find them quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made a messenger bag, but have made a number of Anna Maria Horner’s patterns. They are doozies. I do love creating things off the cuff like my Valentine’s Day table runner. Thanks for making me feel better about the directionality of the hearts. I am going to leave them ....they have character. Good job on your bag even if it took longer than you had planned. genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable little bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, love it! And I am sure it would get faster x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the fabrics you've chosen, before you know it you'll be whipping them up super quick. :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's cute! I remember making a bag for myself for school when I was 15 out of one of Mum's old Bark cloth curtains, all my friends wanted one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I am always surprised at long they seem to take to make, despite being such a simple design! Yay, I'm not the only one that feels this way :). X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photos of the girls! I love your bag, neat idea using the woolen. Here is a link to one I made a few years ago.
    http://stitchingfarmgirl.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/dates-with-mr-postman.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute and I love your stitching on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow - that bag is delightful inside and out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this- perfect soft colours and I'm sure it will be loved : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it brightens my day!